Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Schaeffer on the Supernatural Universe

The Bible insists that we live in reality in a supernatural universe. But if we remove the objective reality of the supernatural universe in any area, this great reality of Christ the bridegroom bringing forth fruit through us immediately falls to the floor, and all that Christianity is at such a point is a psychological and sociological aid, a mere tool. [...] In Julian Huxley's concept of romantic evolutionary humanism, religion has a place, not because there is any truth in it, but because in the strange evolutionary formation, man as he now is simply needs it. [...] We are merely shut up to anthropology, psychology, and sociology, and all that we say about religion in general--and Christianity specifically--falls to the ground except as it relates to a mere psychological mechanism. All the reality of Christianity rests upon the reality of the existence of a personal God, and the reality of the supernatural view of the total universe.

--Francis A. Schaeffer, "True Spirituality", p. 56

3 comments:

  1. hey Mike, this has nothing to do with the post... I was wondering since you're into math at UNL if you know Paul Cokeley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Matt, I have a vague idea of who he is. He actually just graduated, so our time at UNL will not overlap at all. But I know he is a USD alum (heard that from the department chair at USD). And now he's Dr. Paul Cokeley. And that's all I know.

    you know him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul's a great guy and a brilliant math geek. He was a good friend and my big brother in the fraternity when I was at USD but I haven't seen him in about a year and a half so I was wondering if you ever ran into him because I still have his guitar and was wondering if he wanted it back. Also, I'm concerned about his salvation. So if you see him tell him I said hi.

    ReplyDelete