Sunday, June 24, 2007

Lift High the Cross

The Presbyterian church I have been attending since I've arrived in Lincoln has been great for many reasons, but one of my favorite aspects of weekly worship at Grace Chapel is singing the great hymns of the faith (modern arrangements with modern instrumentation, yes, but the hymns nonetheless). This morning we sang one I was familiar with from my days in my old Lutheran church, but had nearly forgotten about. The words are, as usual, wonderful. Enjoy.

Lift High the Cross
by George W. Kitchin, Michael R. Newbolt, and Sydney H. Nicholson

Refrain

Lift high the cross, the love of Christ proclaim,
Till all the world adore His sacred Name.

Led on their way by this triumphant sign,
The hosts of God in conquering ranks combine.

Refrain

Each newborn servant of the Crucified
Bears on the brow the seal of Him Who died.

Refrain

O Lord, once lifted on the glorious tree,
As Thou hast promised, draw the world to Thee.

Refrain

So shall our song of triumph ever be:
Praise to the Crucified for victory.

Refrain

1 comment:

  1. That's a good one... so is Come Ye Sinners. We sang All Hail the Power of Jesus name today (with a really cheesy music video :P) I didn't know you were blogging on blogger now.

    Last Fall I was planning on taking the GRE then didn't, now I'm focused on enjoying my job or finding one that I do, then eventually I hope to take the GRE and get my Masters. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete